|New Information Posted March 14, 2010
The Girl Scouts are continuing to partner with Planned Parenthood, allowing PP to distribute materials at Girl Scout sponsored events. Here is a link to a current article on this topic: Planned Parenthood Distributes Sexually Explicit Brochures at Girl Scout Meeting.
Girl Scouts USA have chosen to move in a direction that is contrary to our Catholic values. Following is a list of areas of grave concern. Background information is available by clicking on the links to the right.
1. On March 5, 2004, the CEO of Girl Scouts USA, Kathy Cloninger, appeared on the “Today” show on NBC and stated that Girl Scout Councils partner with “…Planned Parenthood organizations across the country to bring information-based sex education programs to girls.” Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion provider in the United States. Click here to link to the transcript of Ms. Cloninger’s interview.
2. Over 25 Girl Scout Councils in at least 15 states have admitted to having relationships with Planned Parenthood. Click here to view detailed information concerning these relationships with Planned Parenthood.
3. An award was given by the Girl Scouts to the former Executive Director of the United Nations Population Fund, which is responsible for forced sterilizations and abortions in China.
4. The Girl Scouts have a printed policy in their leadership books that states that prayer is not allowed at meetings, even when all the scouts are of the same religion.
5. Openly homosexual women are allowed to be leaders and camp counselors.
6. In 2000, the Girl Scout president spoke at the White House in favor of a pro-homosexual film that was designed for use at schools.
7. In 2001, the Mountain Meadow Girl Scout Camp in New Jersey held a camping session that was advertised as a “feminist camping experience for children of lesbian, gay, transgender…and other progressive families.”
8. In 1993, the Girl Scouts decided the word “God” was not necessary in the Girl Scout promise and created a policy that allows scouts to substitute “words they deem more appropriate” in place of God.
Any secular organization that chooses to be active within Catholic schools must, at the very least, not contradict Catholic teachings in the implementation of its program. The activities listed above are clearly at odds with Catholic values and represent a violation of the trust we, as Catholics, have granted the Girl Scouts USA organization.
Every Girl Scout is linked in several ways to the national organization, in spite of the fact that the individual councils are legally autonomous. Every Girl Scout and leader, as well as most adult volunteers, must pay membership dues to the national organization. Additionally, the “Girl Scouts of the USA identification strip” is a required part of the Girl Scout uniform. Therefore, even if the Girl Scout Council in your area is not one that has been identified as having a relationship with Planned Parenthood, the ties to Girl Scouts USA are cause for concern. As long as young Catholic girls are members of this once wholesome organization, we must remain vigilant about the direction the national leaders choose.
Thank you for your concern. Please pray that the Girl Scouts will realize how harmful their association with Planned Parenthood can be to the very girls that they would like to assist as they grow from young girls to the beautiful young women that God intends for them to be.
You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your time.
Links to Documents:
Grave Concerns about Girl Scouts USA Background Information
The Girl Scouts and Planned Parenthood: Relationships Around the Nation
"Today Show" Interview
with Girl Scout USA's CEO
Speaks for Themselves
The Response by
Girl Scouts USA and
The Reasons It Is Inadequate